Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Just Ducky

Have you ever been facing something new in your life or an obstacle that you don't think you can get over?  How about you've been asked to do something and you don't think you're qualified?

On Sunday, I went to the park for the day with a blanket, a good book, a submarine sandwich, a bottle of water and a package of Jube Jubes.  As I was laying on the blanket reading, I could hear some splashing in the river beside me.  I looked over and there was some ducks there which were stuck behind a log which opened up into a wider river.  They were trying to figure out how to get over the log and keep going.  As I watched, I was amazed to see the ducks behind the lead duck flipping the tails of the ducks in front with the bills.  It was both cute, but inspiring at the same time.

In the book of Joshua, the Israelites were also facing a huge obstacle ... Jericho.  The walls were huge, the people there were huge and the obstacle of taking the land was huge.  But God had given them the land.  God had prepared for them an inheritance that He may be glorified in His people.  He was nudging them forward to take the city; the large obstacle; to overcome.  All they had to do was be obedient to what He was asking the Israelites to do.  God had already won the battle for them ... WITHOUT A FIGHT!

There have been times in my life where I have felt that maybe I had made a mistake by going into ministry.  There were even times when I didn't feel that I belonged; that I didn't fit the mould of a pastor.  However, God was there reminding me that He had placed me in this job.  He was behind me gently nudging me to keep going and to not get caught up by the size of the obstacle in front of me.  Like a couple of the ducks who moved out of the way, there have been times when I have wanted to swim away.  However, God continues to push me forward and show me that I need to be obedient to His call.  He has already gone before me and won my battles for me.

Maybe you are going through a time in your life where you feel that you don't measure up.  Maybe you are struggling in areas of your life where you just feel like you cannot go on.  Maybe you've come up against a road block and you're not sure that there is any way around.  However, God is there with you.  He is nudging you on.  The only thing that He is asking is that you be obedient to His gentle nudges.  Don't swim away from the obstacle, but allow God to make you an overcomer!  He has already fought your battles for you.

The ducks ... all of them made it over by jumping up on the log.  My afternoon ... was encouraged that no matter what was coming my way, whether in ministry or just in everyday life that God was with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment