Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Driving the Journey

I have been challenged lately by the Holy Spirit to slow down in my driving.  I have had a tendency to have a heavy foot while driving.  I know this may come as a surprise to some of you, but I will admit that I do have a need for speed but I don't like the cost of speed when you get caught.  I like the rush but driving a Buick Century definitely helps curb that enthusiasm a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I am extremely appreciative of my car, but there are times that I wish that the car I owned was a little sportier.

How many times have you been stuck in traffic getting frustrated because you were in a hurry to get somewhere but it was obvious that you weren't going to get there anytime soon?  I use to commute from Barrie to Milton and back every day (I know ... crazy) but in that commute there was always a rush to either get to work or get home.  One of the costly shortcuts was taking the 407 ETR (electronic toll road) which was roughly $15 one way.  However, there were many times that it saved me time and got me to my destination quicker. 

In life, we are on a similar journey.  I can remember when I was younger thinking that, "I can't wait to be 16 so I can drive" or I can't wait to be 21".  There were all these times when I was in such a hurry to get to my destination that I may have missed enjoying part of the journey.  I was so intent on finding the shortcut that the experience of the moment went by unnoticed.  Much like the 407 ETR, shortcuts can cost you.  They might not cost you money, but they can cost you the experience and/or thrill of something.

When we are followers of Christ, God wants us to enjoy the journey that we are on.  The road isn't always clear and the journey isn't always easy but the experience is irreplaceable.  There may be times when you feel like you're in a traffic jam but know that God is with you even in the jams of life.  There may be something that you are missing by trying to take the shortcut.  We need to relax and just be.  Those are two words that God has really impressed in my heart as of late.  He wants me to just 'relax' and 'be'. 

Psalm 46:10 says, "be still and know that I am God".  When we rush on the journey we miss what God is saying or showing us.  So the next time you seem to be caught up in a traffic jam, relax.  Take a breath.  Know that there is a reason why God is slowing you down.  Easily said, but as I have found out from personal experience, not so easy to do.  However, when we do it the results are well worth the effort.

So for me, I am making a conscious choice to slow down in my driving and enjoy the scenery.  I am also choosing to slow down in this journey of life and enjoy the ride that God is taking me on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment