Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Big Problems, Bigger God.

I haven't posted anything on here for a while, but that doesn't mean that things haven't been running through my mind.  It has been quite a journey over the past year.  I switched jobs, got married to an amazing women (those that know her would agree that I married up) and now I find myself in the unemployment line learning to trust God one more time.  I'll come back to that in a minute.

There are times in our lives that we 'struggle' or 'fight' to understand what is happening.  We might be waiting for our soulmate, disappointed about being overlooked for a promotion at work, fighting an illness in our bodies or wondering about a loved one that is not living the life that we would desire for them.  In those moments of 'struggle', it is where our faith is shaped and strengthened and it is when God takes us to a new level of learning to lean on him and not on our own understanding.

In the book of Judges, a man by the name of Gideon was preparing for a battle against the Midianites which God had instructed him to "go with the strength you have, and rescue Israel from the Midianites. I am sending you!"(Judges 6:14).  For seven years, Israel had been subject to the cruelty of the Midianites and were living in fear for their lives.  Israel felt as if their future was very bleak and they were feeling abandoned by God.  They were wondering where "all the miracles our ancestors told us about?  Didn't they say, 'The LORD brought us up out of Egypt'?"(Judges 6:13).  They were facing 'struggle' and trying to understand what was happening to them.  But God WAS with them and watching over them.  He had a plan to glorify Himself through their situation and Gideon who made it clear of his limitations when he pointed out to God, "how can I rescue Israel?  My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!"

Because God is in the middle of your situation, it doesn't matter how weak, poor, sick or beat down you may be, He has a desire to glorify Himself in your life because you belong to Him.  He doesn't care how big the fight is in front of you, but God's desire is to show how big He is despite your situation.  In the historical account of Gideon, God said to him, "I will be with you.  And you will destroy the Midianites as if you were fighting against one man."(Judges 6:16).  In chapter 7, God showed up and with only 300 men, Gideon defeated the Midianites who "had settled in the valley like a swarm of locusts"(Judges 7:12).  God was bigger than their problem.  God gave Gideon and his men the victory over what seemed, insurmountable odds.

No matter what you're facing today, don't look to the size of your problem, look to your BIG God and remember that He is bigger than any 'struggle' or 'fight' that you may face.  Look to Him to show you the way past it.  Let His Word find root in your heart and may the truth that God loves you very much.  Remember that, "[He] will be with you."(Judges 6:16) and that He will bring you through whatever you are going through.  He will provide the right person at the right time (as I recently can give thanks for ... WOO HOO!!!), the right promotion or position, the much needed healing and direction for that wayward loved one.  God will show up!  Just have faith and believe.

So what's the deal with me ... well ... I've recently lost my job after only a couple weeks of marriage.  It is never a desirable situation but I know that the GOD who is faithful is with me and has a plan for my life.  As I, "trust in the LORD with all [my] heart; do not depend on [my] own understanding"(Proverbs 3:5), I know that He is going to open doors of opportunity and increase my faith.  It doesn't mean that it is an easy road, but I step back and allow God to glorify himself in me.  I'm just learning to lean.

Never Lose the Passion,
Dean


No comments:

Post a Comment