Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Dog's Life

Have you ever felt like nothing is going your way and that life just seems to be throwing you every possible curve that it can?  Have you ever felt like you're just not going to make it?  Have you ever felt like just giving up?

I was reminded tonight by a mangy little cur that life might be difficult, but sometimes when it seems like the end of the line, you still have another life.  My brother's dog is named Murphy.  He is really cute and I've really grown to like him over the past little while.  I live with my brother and the puppy dog has spent many nights sleeping on the corner of my bed with me.

This dog has seen death a number of times.  He ate some grass soaked in pesticide.  He has eaten enough Easter chocolate to kill most humans, let alone a dog, but a few weeks back, Murphy had one of his closest encounters yet.  He was struck by a car which ran over his rear quarters.  My brother had messaged me and told me that it would probably be the fun loving furball's last ride to the vet.  I have to admit, I was emotionally moved and maybe even shed a tear.

The truth is, in the bible, there is a guy named Job.  The guy had everything going for him.  He was wealthy, had a healthy family and a great life.  God allowed Satan to attack Job, but he never allowed Satan to kill him.  At first, it was his wealth and his family.  Within minutes, Job had lost all his farm animals and his children.  Imagine ... losing everything in a matter of minutes.  Would you still believe that God existed?  That he loved you?

Job's response was a little odd to say the least, but if you just lost everything, I am sure that your response would be a little odd too.  The bible says that Job tore off his clothes (awkward), shaved his head (Britney Spears much?) and said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart."  Okay ... I am with him up to this point.  HOWEVER ... Job's next statement baffles me: "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; ... (still with him) ...  may the name of the Lord be praised."  *THUD*  Seriously ... praise God for taking away everything?  I want some of that wine he is drinking.

A little while later, Satan decides that it isn't enough that he has killed off his family and stolen his wealth, he decides to strike him down with some lovely boils from head to toe.  Again, just when he thought it couldn't get worse ... it does.  Have you been there?  Even Job's wife says, "Are you still holding on to your intergrity?  Curse God and die!" ... to which Job replies, "You are you talking like a foolish woman. ... (which in itself could get me in trouble if I went deeper with it so we will just leave that alone) ... Shall we accept good from God and not trouble?"

See ... the truth of Job's story is not what He got from God (although God did give him a new family and wealth) but what it really comes down to is that God believed in God despite how grueling the situation got.  It didn't matter if times were good or if times were bad, he was going to acknowledge God as God.

So Murphy ... hit by a car ... but yet he lives another day to bark about it.  Life doesn't always go the way we expect.  I am sure that this puppy dog didn't want to get hit by a car, but despite it, he still keeps fighting to live for another day.  Despite all he has been through, he still comes to us for food, water and of course some attention.

Psalm 62:8 reminds us, "Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."  So when you're going through those difficult times, have faith in God.  When you're going through some good times, have faith in God.  No matter what you're experiencing, have faith in God.  He will carry you through!

Never Lose the Passion,
Dean

1 comment:

  1. ....sometimes the sun stays hidden for years, sometimes the sky rains night after night, but OUR hope endures, the worst of conditions, it's more than just optimism... We never walk alone, and our hope endures!!!!!
    Because of where it comes from....not because of what our circumstances are like.....
    Thanks for the reminder...I needed that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete