Thursday, April 8, 2010

Humbly Yours

I have been feeling really challenged as of late to really understand more about myself. I guess I really never thought much about "Who am I?" or anything like that because I just had a sense of "I already know", but truth be told, I've had my eyes opened quite a bit.
The other day, I was driving to work and I had one of the moments where God just LOUDLY whispered into my ear, "Dean ... you have too much pride!" I was appalled! I was shocked! I was in denial because how could I possibly have too much pride? Really! Me? But my very response confirmed exactly what God was saying to me. I knew immediately that there was a sense of pride there. I had allowed myself to become my own worst enemy.
In Numbers 12:3, the bible states, "Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."(NIV). Normally, I wouldn't take up any grievances with the bible, but in this case you have to realize that Moses WROTE this statement. He was claiming that he himself was the humblest guy on the face of the earth. Not bad. I wish I could say the same, but obviously by the Spirit's conviction in my life I cannot.
So what's the deal with humility then? Is it really anything important?
Well, I'm learning that humility is what really moves God into action. I like how Andrew Murray puts it in his book entitled "Humility":
What is the incarnation but His heavenly humility, His emptying Himself and becoming man? What is His life on earth but humility; His taking the form of a servant? And what is His atonement but humility? "He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death." And what is His ascension and His glory, but humility exalted to the throne and crowned with glory? "He humbled Himself, therefore God highly exalted Him." In heaven, where He was with the Father, in His birth, in His life, in His death, in His sitting on the throne, it is all, it is nothing but humility. Christ is the humility of God embodied in human nature; the Eternal Love humbling itself, clothing itself in the garb of meekness and gentleness, to win and serve and save us. As the love and condescension of God makes Him the benefactor and helper and servant of all, so Jesus of necessity was the Incarnate Humility. And so He is still in the midst of the throne, the meek and lowly Lamb of God.


I think I have a lot to learn on the subject and how to live it out, but as I try to work through it, I pray that eventually I can get to the point where I can paraphrase the words of Moses and say that "Now Dean was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth".

Humbly Yours,
Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment