Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Dog's Life

 I was doing my morning devotions outside this morning as the weather was gorgeous and I looked up and saw my wife's dog sprawled out on the grass sleeping in the sunshine.  I thought to myself, "MAN!!!! I wish I could do that!"  Of course, my mind was persuaded that if I did, the owner of that dog wouldn't be very pleased with me, and honestly, I probably wouldn't be pleased with me either.  It's laziness at it's best.  I have to admit though, it would be nice to just lay there and not have a worry in the world.

However, there are times in our lives that we get so busy that we forget to stop and just "be".  We have so many things to do that we forget to cherish the moments that we are in.  We get caught up with having to go there, or having to be here and forget that sometimes you just need to stop.  That doesn't mean that you don't get things done, but there has to be a time of rest.

Then I got thinking some more about our furry little friend soaking up the sunshine ... how many times do we stop and take time to be with God?  In the hustle and bustle of life, how many times do we stop?  Even in our personal devotions, often we find ourselves drifting off to the to-do lists of the day or week and not really focusing on our time with God.  Maybe it is just me.  I have been sometimes labeled as A.D.D. but I'm sure there are more people out there like me.  

When I first started dating, my wife showed me a quote that she had posted on her fridge and it has stuck with ever since.  It goes like this

Be still and know that I am God
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know
Be still
Be
Psalm 46:10

Today I am choosing to live a dog's life.  I am choosing to stop all that I am doing and just calm myself in the Sonshine of my Heavenly Father.  It isn't easy (especially for this A.D.D. kid), but I am going to make time to spend some uninterrupted time with God.  I still have my to-do list, but I am going to make God a priority on that list.



No comments:

Post a Comment